Special thanks to Kong Artist Taylor McDonald and her pup Bindi for this awesome fall KONG dog toy recipe with pumpkin spice filler! Follow Bindi and Taylor’s adventures at their Instagram, Bindi’s Bucket List, where they post canine enrichment ideas and creative KONG recipes of all kinds.
What You’ll Need
- One or More Appropriately Sized KONG Dog Toy (or other stuffable treat toy)
- 100% Raw Pureed Pumpkin
- Artificial Sweetener Free Whipped Cream
- Bully Stick, Greenie, Dental Stix, or other chewie
- Optional: A Bit of Your Dog’s Regular Kibble
- Optional: A Mug or Cup
How to Make a Pumpkin Spiced Kong for Your Dog
- Assemble your ingredients and KONG dog toys (or other treat toys).
- Scoop a bit of pumpkin into the bottom of the KONG with a spoon.
- Add some kibble to the middle, if you’re including part of your dog’s regular meal. This helps up the nutritional value of the recipe. Furthermore, kibble adds a variety of textures to the pumpkin and whipped cream mixture.
- Fill the remainder of the KONG toy with pumpkin once you’re finished with the kibble or other middle fillers.
- Consider mixing the kibble and pumpkin together for a great challenge, if you’re planning on freezing the KONG.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to the top of the KONG. Bonus points if you get part of the whipped cream to sink into the pumpkin as if it’s “melting.”
- Insert the bone or long-lasting chewie into the top of the KONG on a slant. Leave at least 2/3s of the length exposed for beginner puppies or dogs. For more advanced dogs, leave just the end visible.
- Repeat for each KONG toy you’re stuffing.
- For added challenge or for more experienced puzzle solvers, place the finished KONG upright in a mug, cup, or several together in a bowl. Freeze them before presenting the mental stimulation toy(s) to your dog for some Fall fun!